Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jana: Fried Avocados

We've got followers (or at least one)!! At this point in the history of Iron Chef Sisters, when a reader tells me I should try out a new recipe, I listen (thanks, Rene'!). So although I was having trouble choosing between Avocado Chicken Stir-Fry and Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes, the decision was made for me. For the fourth and final recipe of March (yay! I made all four in one month!!), Fried Avocados were calling my name. I used this recipe from AllRecipes.com as a starting place, but added a few tips from the reviews and other recipes I found online.

My frying experience is rather limited... I think I can count on one hand the number of times that I have deep-fried food myself. But I was willing to give it a try. I bought two avocados, but decided that one would be plenty as a side dish for Rob and me. Luckily, I thought to get the firmest avocados Kroger had, because even some of those slices turned to mush before they made it to the frying pan.

I used the same process for the crumb coating that I used previously, and I totally recommend it: the two-dish plastic container makes the perfect set-up for the eggs and crumbs. And, I only dirty one dish that way! I decided to up the ante with Panko bread crumbs in addition to the flour coating, but also mixed in some herb seasoning and cumin (can't get enough cumin in this house!).

I probably kept the avocado slices in the frying pan just a few minutes too long, but for this frying-novice, I thought I did pretty well. The result was a wonderful combination of crunchy outside and mushy avocado goodness on the inside. We paired these savory treats up with burgers and corn on the cob... a perfect way to wish that summer comes soon!

Rene', this recipe is totally worth trying. It's quick, it's easy, and it's delicious!!

1 comment:

  1. I squealed a little when I saw this post! I am so excited that you decided to try it. So sad I wasn't close enough to be in the taste testing party. They look great though!

    ReplyDelete