Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Great Avocado Blitz of 2011

Please don't hate me.

While my wonderfully talented and diligent sister has been cooking up her avocado delicacies, I have been...eating out, eating at the church, eating at my in-laws' house, eating meals that don't really qualify as dinner (cereal, anyone?), and just plain skipping meals.

Forgive me. I've been a horrible Iron Chef. But it's Lent, after all, and surely it's not too late to repent!

Tonight, Jordan dropped me off at my mom's house (she's out of town...we're dog-sitting) and then headed to band practice. And that's when it occurred to me: April 1 is tomorrow! No fooling around, I have exactly 6 hours to come up with some recipes worthy of this blog.

First, I texted Jordan and told him to wait and eat dinner with me. Then, I assessed the situation: I had $25 in my wallet, but no car. So I walked to Super 1 Foods, with two requirements: my purchase to be less than $25, and I had to be able to carry it home.

Here's what I bought:



My total came to $22.82. The avocados cost me $8, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. In true Iron Chef fashion, I have a time limit: everything has to be finished by midnight tonight. Wish me luck as I disappear into the kitchen for a while!

I'm aiming for three dishes: an appetizer, a main course, and a dessert. Any guesses?

1 comment:

  1. Wow... that may be even more dedication that I have... walking to the store... I'm not sure that I would do that.

    Also can't believe avocados are so expensive in Louisiana. Anxious to see what scrumptious dishes you create!

    ReplyDelete