Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jana: Garlic-Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops

To start this challenge out right, I searched high and low for a main dish course containing eggs. I'm not big on breakfast for dinner (although sometimes a bowl of cereal reigns victorious!), so I wanted something that required chicken or pork as well. Remembering a yummy recipe of cracker-crusted recipe I used a while back, I searched for a breaded recipe. Egg is what holds the breading together.

Searching through the BigOven app on my phone and then through the website itself, I found recipe #1 here.

Much to my surprise, I already had eggs in my refrigerator (and the expiration date had yet to pass!), so all I needed to pick up at the store this evening was fresh garlic, pork chops, and seasoned bread crumbs. I had hoped that they would have the thin-cut pork chops (often called breakfast chops)--they cook really fast, but alas, they only had the thick ones (which is what the recipe really called for anyway).

I followed the recipe pretty much to the tee, just substituting olive oil for vegetable oil, and I forgot to take the garlic out of the oil. Knowing that this was a pretty complicated recipe to make for a weeknight, I paired the pork dish with mixed vegetables and roasted red potatoes (both from the frozen food aisle).

The only mishap of the adventure was the fact that when I asked Rob how long he was planning to spin on the bike trainer (and how long I would have to cook), I misheard, thinking half an hour instead of an hour and a half. Luckily, I left the veggies in the microwave, kept the potatoes warming in the oven, and quickly warmed the chops before plating.

Even an hour later it was delicious. A perfect combination of crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The parmesan and herbs were hidden inside the outermost layer, making a tasty surprise. Rob's first response, "damn, this is good"... Rob's second response, "This is amazing"... Rob's eighteenth (or more) response, "man, this hit the spot." He went back for seconds.

Without further adieu, the recipe....
 

1 comment:

  1. Well, yummy!!! And on a school night, too---Valine and I are SO impressed!

    ReplyDelete