Saturday, April 2, 2011

Callie: California Salad

Jordan and I both love sushi, but given my time frame and lack of resources (not to mention, how terrible I am at rolling sushi), I knew I wouldn't be able to pull it off. But I wanted to use the unique flavor combination of a California roll: avocado, cucumber, and crabmeat. Inspired by this recipe, I decided to make a sushi-like salad. Instead of seaweed, I used a bag of salad greens for my base. Then I added cooked rice, crab meat, avocado, and cucumber (I sliced the vegetables into long strips and added them to the top of the salad.) I served it with flat bread (an Indian flat bread called Naan...yes, it was a cultural shift, but it was tasty! More on the Naan in the next post)



Outcome: This was definitely the most successful dish of the night (and yes, I realize there was very little actual cooking involved here...that's probably why it was a success). We both like salads, and the flavor combination was very good. However, the final product was a lot more salad-y than sushi-y (not a bad thing, just not what I had intended). Jordan suggested we try it again sometime as a rice-based dish, using actual sushi rice, and layer on the seaweed and other toppings.

2 comments:

  1. Well, the salad looks more yummy to me, too (without Guac, of course). Yay, I'm so glad to get to read about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well... im glad there was something edible.

    ReplyDelete