Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Jana: Corn Pudding

I purchased the ingredients for Corn Pudding two weeks ago, but things just kept popping up in our schedule that made a 45 minute cooking project almost impossible. However, I'm glad I waited, because although I originally had settled on this recipe from AllRecipes.com, yesterday at the library I checked out a cookbook with a corn pudding recipe. The book is called America I Am: Pass It Down Cookbook and is filled with "soul-filled recipes" shared by African-American cooks. It feels much more authentic to cook knowing the stories behind the recipes.

I was introduced to corn pudding by my Aunt Sally, who is one of the best cooks I know. I had tried to make it on my own once before, but I decided it was worth another go in honor of Corn month.

I mixed all of the ingredients together and then stored the casserole dish in the refrigerator while I tutored from 3:30 to 5:30. I threw it in the oven when I got back to the apartment, and 50 minutes later (10 minutes longer than the original recipe!) I had a batch of corn pudding to complement my pork chops and mashed potatoes.

The dish was really runny, so we let the excess water drain before spooning it onto our plates. I remember the same thing happening last time, so I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, or perhaps it was melted water from the frozen corn?!? (The AllRecipes recipe actually calls for frozen corn, so I'll have to try that one sometime, too.)

But, it was yummy. Sweet, but good. And, when Rob opted for another helping instead of getting a brownie for dessert, I knew we had a winner.

Without further adieu...

No comments:

Post a Comment