Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jana: Black Bean Tostadas with Corn Relish

Wednesday afternoon in our house: I had been icing sugar cookies all day, but made a discovery that with the tv on (aka reruns on the laptop) I can get a whole heck of a lot of work done around the house. Knowing that this would be the last night at home over Spring Break (we left the next day for Ohio), I decided it was now or never for the first Black Bean recipe.

Luckily many of the vegetables I had left over from avocado month were still appropriate for black bean recipes, so I used this recipe for Black Bean Tostadas with Corn Relish.

I chopped all of the veggies and even cooked the meat ahead of time. When Rob got home from work hungry, all I had to do was layer the tostadas and bake for 10 minutes. Must remember this for the summer... especially when Rob comes home after late bike rides. I could have everything all ready in the afternoon, so that it will be done as soon as he gets out of the shower.

The combination of crunchy tostada shell, warm toppings, and cool corn relish was a hit! And I was even able to personalize them for each of us: no cheese for me, please.

Of course I literally lost the bag of tortilla chips that was going to be our appetizer, so I quickly threw together some rice for the side. Chips would have been better. Of course... chips make everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment