Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Jana: Caribbean Chicken Fried Rice

Rob's request for egg-month was Caribbean Fried Rice. So one evening last week, I decided to acquiesce. Found this recipe for Caribbean Fried Rice and paired it with this recipe for Caribbean Black Beans.

Knowing that my "growing" boy wants and needs meat in his meals, I decided I would dice some chicken to add in. In the middle of prep, I remembered that I had a bottle of 30-minute Caribbean Jerk marinade in the refrigerator and thought that would be just the right flavor for the chicken. I used Kroger brand, but apparently Lawry's and KC Masterpiece also make some. And, of course you could make your own, but I just googled "caribbean jerk marinade" and all the recipes I found had >15 ingredients. I simply don't have time for that.

The original fried rice recipe called for dried chiles, but warned it would make the meal pretty spicy. Rob and I like spice, but we don't like fire, so I opted for a hint of ground red pepper and the spice from the chicken marinade instead--and I have to say that was a good choice for us. Add peppers at your own risk.

I went ahead and made 6 cups of rice, which was way overkill. Made enough for two leftover lunches (one for each of us!) and caused me rethink the option of adding garlic bread.

The meal was yummy. My only complaint is that the rice was a bit dry--maybe I stir-fried it too long, maybe it needed to mix better with some kind of liquid (the oil, maybe?). I would definitely make it again. It wasn't too bad for a school night, but definitely required more chopping and timing than the other recipes I've tried before.

And, even though this post is primarily the egg recipe... the beans were super delish. Most definitely recommend that recipe, too!

So, here in full color...

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that looks really good!! I've decided to dice up some veggies, like red bell peppers, celery, etc. and freeze them for ease of cooking---I've been cooking so much more lately! (well, anything would be more) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do that, too. There for a while I had a bag of frozen chopped onions that I bought at the store... added so much flavor to so many meals. Seems silly, but I hadn't thought about doing it myself.

    ReplyDelete