Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jana: Summer Succotash

To end the month, I wanted to squeeze in one more corn recipe. Inspired again by the America I Am cookbook, I went looking for a good succotash recipe. I mean, corn and lima beans are my fave! (My family always laughs about how we're such picky eaters, yet we all love lima beans!) I ended up using this recipe for Vegetarian Succotash by Jill Harris.

For the other recipes this month I just used frozen corn. However, the other day I decided to "go big or go home," and bought three fresh ears of corn. I had never cut corn off the cob and for some reason was a little nervous. It turned out to be no big deal and made such a difference in the flavor! The fresh kernels added a bit of sweetness that just wouldn't have been there if I had opted for frozen.

I wish that I would have noticed that the original recipe pairs this with quinoa because I've wanted to try that. This time though I paired the veggie side dish with grilled chicken and jasmine rice.

As the comments on the original post mentioned, the lima beans did get a little overcooked, even though I was trying to really watch them (meaning I sampled a lot of limas throughout the process!).

But overall the dish had wonderful flavor! Rob and I both went for seconds... and we had some leftover. That's the problem with these new recipes... they're hard to size down for two people the first time around. Next time, I'll probably use only two ears of corn and a little bit less than half a bag of lima beans. But, yes, there will be a next time!

1 comment: